Who can help me?

If you are living with HIV or AIDS, you may need many kinds of support: medical, emotional, psychological, and financial. Your doctor, your local health and social services departments, local AIDS service organizations, and libraries can help you in finding all kinds of help, such as the following:

  • Answers to your questions about HIV and AIDS
  • Doctors, insurance, and help in making health care decisions
  • Food, housing, and transportation
  • Planning to meet financial and daily needs
  • Support groups for you and your loved ones
  • Home nursing care
  • Help in legal matters, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) claims
  • Confidential help in applying for Social Security disability benefits

You can also get help by calling CDC-INFO at 1-800-232-4636.

Many people living with HIV feel better if they can talk with other people who also have HIV. Here are some ways to find support.

  • Contact your local AIDS service organization. Look under “AIDS” or “Social Service Organizations” in the yellow pages of your telephone book.
  • Contact a local hospital, church, or American Red Cross chapter for referrals.
  • Read HIV newsletters or magazines.
  • Join support groups or Internet forums.
  • Volunteer to help others with HIV.
  • Be an HIV educator or public speaker, or work on a newsletter.
  • Attend social events to meet other people who have HIV.

Today, thousands of people are living with HIV or AIDS. Many are leading full, happy, and productive lives. You can too if you work with your doctor and others and take the steps outlined in this booklet to stay healthy.

For More Information:

Free referrals and information:


1-800-CDC-INFO (232-4636)

TTY: 1-888-232-6348

In English, en Español

8A-8P (EST) M-F. Closed weekends and major federal holidays.

Free materials:

Order single copies of this and other HIV/AIDS documents.

Free HIV/AIDS treatment information:


(800) 448-0440

Project Inform

(800) 822-7422


Drugs undergoing clinical trials:


(800) 448-0440

Social Security benefits:

Social Security Administration

(800) 772-1213

(You also may request a personal earnings and benefit estimate statement to help you estimate the retirement, disability, and survivor benefits payable on your Social Security record.)